Thursday, November 8, 2012

DIY Garden Gnome Costume

It took me a bit of time to decide on a costume for my toddler, but once I decided it was game on! I purchased a hat last year that I absolutely adore and it became the inspiration of the "Garden Gnome" costume.  



I purchased red/white stripe stockings and used a red shirt already in the closet.  Then I  ventured to Hobby Lobby and picked out navy fleece for the skirt and various felts for the mushrooms and felt flowers.  I used the Rose Barrett pattern from Purl Bee's blog to make my flowers.  I attached a wire to the bottom petal by poking a hole through the center and then twisting the wire so it wouldn't fall out.   I found an old basket in my basement and put floral foam at the bottom to secure the flowers. 


Next step was creating the mushrooms.  So fun to do!  I cut circles out in various sizes and plucked them in the basket as well. 


 For final touches I sewed felt flowers to her "suspenders" and a little mushroom to the skirt.  Details are so important. I was so thrilled with how this turned out!



1 comment:

  1. Darling little girl, darling costume!! You don't by chance still have the hat, do you? Our daughter is going to be a gnome for Halloween, but we haven't found the right hat yet. We were thinking felt, but this one has the added benefit of being able to wear it year round. : ) if you have it and would like to sell it, please let me know. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete